Friday 21 September 2012

A different kind of stupid

This article was originally published for Cambio Ltd. on 20-09-2012. Access it here.

Take one reasonably intelligent person. Persuade them to do an undergraduate degree in a subject they declared as a child to be boring. On completion let them out into the real world to realise that a job isn’t much cop, and that their intellect is rotting in an office environment. Guide them to decide to return to university and spend £6K on a master’s degree rather than accept a manager’s job paying £30K. Three months into this course, get them to apply for a PhD in a subject area loosely connected to their university training. Conspire with fate for this person to be accepted for both the course, and the funding grant before they know what’s happened. Stand back.

Whoever decided this little scenario for me, I don’t know if I want to hurt or hug them. True, I was going stir-crazy working in an office, but I felt stupid because I was bored rather than because I had to regularly confess I didn’t understand basic biochemical concepts/ anyone else’s research project/ my own research project/ what possessed me to undertake a PhD. Also, my day-to-day tasks generally gave me the outcome I anticipated rather than a completely different one. When I went to a meeting I generally spoke to other people about a pre-arranged topic rather than, for example, turning up to discover that I was actually due to give a talk to members of the Royal Society on string theory (I know nothing about string theory). This latter scenario is how scientific research feels to me.

This week has not gone well. After spending the best part of 6 months getting my PCRs working reliably, they have now stopped doing what they should. I put in my standard mixture, and out comes something new and surprising. Unlike what I read at A-level, my experiments do not generally work, and they do not give me results that I can easily interpret. My gels go wobbly. Bands disappear inexplicably. I have to re-run my samples changing one of my 6 ingredients each time, then alter the PCR programme, the gel concentration, the voltage I run the gel at. This easily eats up a week. Then I discover that the PCR machine is running strangely, that the lids of my tubes are inexplicably popping open (despite my cramming them on with force not that short of hitting them with a hammer) – resulting in my samples evaporating. Then I find that someone used the last of my PCR strips and didn’t re-order any. With my lack of a biochemical background, I am generally forced to bug my lab mates for help and advice, or face the disparaging gaze of my supervisor. I feel stupid about 90% of the time.

Why did nobody warn me about this?!

I recently read a very good article entitled “The importance of stupidity in scientific research” (accessible here – or Google it) which was published in The Journal of Cell Science. At the start, the author describes meeting up with a PhD friend many years later, only to discover that she didn’t complete her course. Why? Because she was fed up with feeling stupid all the time. I feel her pain. But this is what scientific research is all about –after all, the reason you’re doing it is because no-one knows the answer. I’ve found this especially hard as I’m a super trendy inter-disciplinary student. So not only do I have the fun of diving into the unknown, I also have my arms and legs being pulled in 3 different directions. Deal with that Tom Daley!

But for all of this, there is no way you could drag me back to that office. My PhD winds me up, it makes me cry, it makes me question my sanity – and it makes me feel very, very stupid. But there’s a strange kind of freedom in the challenge, in knowing that realistically there are very few people who could do what I’m doing. In the end, no-one else will understand my subject as thoroughly as I do.

It beats working in an office any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment