Saturday 21 July 2012

Fried green tomatoes

I actually can't remember the last time I bought tomatoes from a supermarket. I lost my faith in supermarket tomatoes many years ago - they're kind of renowned for being less than inspiring...

Today Jon went to the farm shop with his mum, and came back with an assorted bag of tomatoes for us to do a taste test on (I'll grant you that this makes us more than a little geeky - but how can you not get excited by colourful food?!).


Much to my surprise, my favourite variety - and that of everyone else - was the green one! (the browny purpley one came a distant second) ...and before you ask, YES! It's meant to be green! It had a fantastic sweet and tangy flavour, and I was all up for trying to grow some last year (as the tomatoes have done so well this year, ha) but sadly Jon didn't make a record of the variety - and we ate all the seeds...

We suspect it may be a green zebra tomato, but if anyone has any better ideas, I would love to know!

Disclaimer: this post has nothing to do with fried green tomatoes. These tomatoes were delicious - unlike those in the film!

No comments:

Post a Comment