Wednesday 10 December 2014

Forgotten Crafts Project #1: Preparing food

Today I read a very pertinent review of John Seymour's other book (The Forgotten Arts and Crafts), which read:

I really thought this book would be about

1) The forgotten crafts
2) How to learn to do them

What I got was a lot of reminiscing and stories about how things were better before mean 'ol World War I came along and industrialized England.


Beginning to read the chapters of this book, I see this person has a real point.

The first chapter on food preparation is divided into 6 sections:

* savoury puddings
* desserts
* chopping, pounding and pulping
* beating
* cake mixes
* pastry making

Some of these I think are good fodder for investigating 'forgotten household crafts', and some of them less so. The section on cake mixes seems to basically cover how as a boy he preferred eating the cake batter to the actual finished product.

And that's about it.

So I might not be addressing that one in quite so much detail.

He does however talk a lot about puddings (both sweet and savoury) and they seem like things I should be investigating. We've all heard of Yorkshire puddings - but what about Essex or Suffolk puddings? Summer pudding is fairly well known - but what about Cambridge pudding?

But of course there are no recipes.

So I will have to broaden my net to investigate other sources of such knowledge, as Mr. Seymour is not hugely forthcoming on the issue. I do have a few tricks up my sleeve, not least of which involving pinching my mum's copy of "Mrs. Beeton's Household Management" when I visit at Christmas (mwahahaa), but I suspect a trip to the library is in order.

Does anyone have any recommendations for useful books...? Please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment