Monday 19 January 2015

Trialling soap nuts

A while ago I bought some soap nuts, with the intention, I think, of using them to wash my hair during my no-poo experiment.

This weekend I ran out of washing powder. So, my hand was forced to give the soap nuts a trial in the washing machine. I dutifully popped 5-6 of the nuts in a wee cloth bag and loaded it in with my laundry for a 30 degree wash.

I reckon this counted as 5.5 soap nuts

To be honest, I'm not impressed with the result, and will probably be surrendering my environmental credentials and spritzing the whole lot with Febreeze as it just don't smell clean, innit.

I'm not giving up hope though - for my next load I will be pre-soaking the lot in hot water and adding the water (as well as my bag'o'nuts) to the load. If that doesn't work, I'll up it to 40, and as a last resort, I'll try what it says on the back of the pack and make some 'soap nut liquid' by boiling 50 g in a litre of water, and using that in place of laundry detergent.

Watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment