Friday 23 December 2011

Darn it!

I have a confession to make...

Last weekend I darned one of my husband's socks.

*gasp*

What's more, it has to be one of the most satisfying tasks I have completed in recent months.

*double gasp*

But why? Sock darning seems so boring... I think it's because of our throw-away culture: all my life my thought has been to fix my socks, but I never do it and end up spending money on a new pair, and throwing away a pair of socks whose only fault is a hole in the toe/heel.

There's something very satisfying in only spending 48p on a roll of darning wool, that to date has fixed 4 of his holey work socks. It's also really simple, and I think it looks pretty good. (Really good tutorial here if you fancy learning)



I also am now learning to knit socks, in an attempt to increase the value of such a vital item (and my skill set). I mean, am I going to chuck away socks that I've spent several weeks (months, years) knitting? You must be blimming kidding!

Besides, home made socks are purty!

No comments:

Post a Comment