Saturday 21 January 2012

Organic producer conference round up

So this week I had the immensely good fortune to attend the Organic Producer's Conference, organised by the chaps at the Organic Research Centre at Elm Farm, and held (this year) at Aston University (and in my case paid for by my university). I spent two happy days drinking tea, eating my body weight in complimentary mini pains-au-chocolat, attending sessions on legumes and arable farming systems and chatting to organic farmers - possibly the nicest, most down to earth bunch of people around.

My overarching feeling from the conference was a positive one. Granted, agriculture is facing a tough time economically, and the government is not really providing the support to farmers that they need - the common agricultural policy (CAP) is outdated and based on quantity over and above actual demand for food (and environmental impact), the average age of farmers in this country is 64, and land is so expensive many young farmers are having trouble getting started.

But! It seems to me that small-scale projects are doing really well. Their output is far higher than conventionally farmed land, not only in produce/acre but also economically and in terms of jobs - the average (600 acre) conventional farm will employ the same number of people (2.4) as a small-scale community supported agriculture (CSA) scheme (surely a good reason to pursue this path more).

I am just blown away by the innovation and research that goes on in organic farming. While most of the government's agricultural research money goes into either GM crops or seed breeding, and in my experience conventional conferences are all about new varieties and machinery, the organic sector is all about innovation - how to get better systems working with minimal changes to the inputs. How to succeed economically whilst still giving a sh!t about the impact you're having on your land.

Granted it made me wonder why I'm spending my time in a lab when I would in many ways prefer to be starting my own business, but it also made me realise the importance of scientific research in progress. You can't make good decisions without cold, hard facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment