Tuesday 13 March 2012

Weekly recycling - about time too!

Today I returned home to find a leaflet: "Your new recycling and waste collection service explained" (why the need for italics I'm not quite sure).

"Uh-oh" I thought.

But it turns out they're making our recycling service weekly in order to encourage people to recycle more (currently it's fortnightly). I suspect weekly collection of landfill waste will cease at some point soon...

About bloody time I say!

At the moment, by the time it's recycling week, the box is overflowing. Meanwhile the landfill waste goes out about once a month. If we had a wood burning stove for all the tissues and cotton buds to go in, I reckon we could get away with a bi-yearly waste collection (of plastic packaging)

If I can get up on my soap box for a minute, I get so irate at the stink people cause over the possible move to fortnightly waste collections. For a start, I don't even understand how people can produce that much waste - especially as the council provides an everything-in-one-box (i.e. idiot proof) recycling collection service. All you have to do is put things in a different bin! People complain about landfill and council tax, but don't seem to realise that waste has to go somewhere, and we have to pay for that luxury. Ok, rant over.

In short -

Go Wokingham Borough Council, I approve!

No comments:

Post a Comment