Monday 10 February 2014

No poo #3



Yeah, I know right! Third time's a charm though - isn't it?

I haven't had much luck with cutting out shampoo. I read the blogs of these amazing women who haven't washed their hair for years and have beautiful hair, and I cry inwardly. WHY DOESN'T IT WORK FOR ME? Why doesn't my hair co-operate?

So, in light of yet another story of a lady who hasn't used shampoo for 3 years, I'm giving this one last try. This time with scarves. 

That's right. I'm just really hoping that by having something pretty on my head, rather than a mop of slightly greasy hair, I will be able to stick it out for longer. As previously stated, I may be a little bit of a hippy, but I do care about my appearance.

So, this time – out with the bicarb and lemon juice approach, out with things that make a complete mess of my shower (I'm looking at you, lentils) – in with… wait for it, WATER!

Yup. 

For a week now I have been showering for 5 minutes every morning (rather than 15 every three days) and just not using any shampoo. I give my hair a good rub-over to make sure it's well rinsed, and when I'm out it goes up in a bun, then gets wrapped up in a scarf.

So far, it's a horrible greasy mess. It looks ok if I ruffle it up, and has more volume than my hair has ever had, but to the touch it's horrid. If this keeps up I'm canning the experiment.

So far the major up-side has been the discovery of Andrea Grinberg's website. As an Orthodox Jew she covers her hair for other reasons, but has turned it into an art form. A scraggly kerchief over the head? No-siree. 

I am in awe, and blatantly copying some of her ideas. I have had more compliments in a week over the head scarves than I have in a year for my hair. At this rate I might just wear them all the time, and keep up the no-poo until either my hair gets nice, or I run out of scarf-related inspiration.

Please do check out her blog, it's SO inspiring!

Love, Bee x

No comments:

Post a Comment