Wednesday 16 July 2014

#day3 Dilemma.

This Sunday it is my grandad’s 88th birthday. In respect for his accumulated years we are, as a family, going to a posh hotel for afternoon tea.

This will not be #whole30 friendly.

So do I just not go?

Of course not - it’s his 88th birthday! But explaining no sugar, no grains, no dairy to my grandad will only leave him confused, and upset that I’m being ‘different’.

So, I called them earlier today and asked what they could do for me, which was a gluten-free, diabetic (i.e. reduced sugar) afternoon tea. I was pretty impressed they could do that much, and decided it would do.

I know “off roading” isn’t allowed during the #Whole30, and if this were with friends I probably could have negotiated it; but I’m pretty sure sitting with a cup of black tea and not eating anything while everyone else tucked in would just have led to me alienating my grandad on a special day, which I’m just not down with. Life will present me with these challenges, and like with so many other things, I guess the best we can do, is the best we can do.

Should I have moved my Whole30 to another time? Possibly - but then my brother wouldn’t be able to join me until August, and I really wanted to get started.

I think maybe I’ll treat this as a trial, and do another one later. After all, the goal is to make me feel better - and I’m pretty sure it’ll do that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment